Pumpkin Spice – Wellthy Swaps
There are a few things synonymous with fall; crisp golden leaves blanketing the ground, oversized scarves (it’s time to bring out that fall wardrobe), and of course pumpkin spice. Ok, maybe there are a few others, but those are obviously the most notable. As the air becomes crisper and the days shorter, warming foods and hearty dishes are the perfect way to transition your diet to complement the season. But as sugary pumpkin-themed treats and drinks overtake the Starbucks menu, and temptations for pumpkin spice scones, pumpkin spice frappuccinos, and of course the hallmark pumpkin spice latte (pssttt there’s also a secret menu for pumpkin lovers), becomes overwhelmingly unavoidable (stay strong), there are ways you can make your fall favourites a little more wellthy! Yes, this may require you to prep ahead of time or add a few new superfoods to your grocery list, but you’ll save yourself almost 50g of sugar a day if a PSL is a morning staple rather than an occasional indulgence. Disclaimer: you may start to feel more energized, less groggy, satiated for longer, reduced cravings, and more nourished. Trust me, after making a few wellthy swaps, your body will thank you (and so will your wallet!)
Pumpkin Spice Fried Oatmeal
what you’ll need:
- 200g porridge oats
- 300ml nut milk
- 300ml water
- pinch sea salt
- pinch sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2-3 tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Mix the oats, water, nut milk, natural sweetener, and salt in a pan
- Stir on a low heat constantly for about 10- 12 mins until thick and creamy. Tip: The more you stir, and the lower the heat, the creamier the porridge!
- Pour the porridge into a medium sized glass container
- Leave to cool, then refrigerate overnight
- Remove the cooled porridge from the glass container carefully – you’ll end up with a solid slab of porridge.
- Slice it into triangles or squares.
- Spray a cast iron skillet with coconut oil, or use a nonstick pan tofry the portioned oatmeal, about 5 mins on each side, or until golden
- remove from heat and serve with fresh berries, coconut whip, toasted nuts and seeds, or Greek yogurt.
Pumpkin Spice Bulletproof
what you’ll need:
- 1 cup of coffee
- 1 tbsp bulletproof brain octane oil (or MCT oil)
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 scoop collagen powder
- 1/2 tsp ashwagandha
- Add all ingredients into a high-speed blender, & blend on high until frothy. Pour & enjoy.